Immanuel Baptist Church was formed in 1907 under the leadership of Reverend Alanson Lee O’Briant, and was located adjacent to present-day William Carey University. Initially, its members met in a donated ten, but within a couple of years, they built a more permanent structure and a two-story parsonage. During the early 1900’s, Immanuel’s vitality directly paralleled the vitality of the colleges which preceded William Carey University. While South Mississippi College and Mississippi Woman’s College remained open, Immanuel grew, but when these colleges closed, Immanuel struggled. During the 1940’s and 50’s, Immanuel experienced major growth as Mississippi Woman’s College became stronger and eventually became William Carey College. Because of this growth, Immanuel members built a larger structure. Due to the decline of membership during the 60’s and 70’s and the changing demographics of the surrounding community, in 1979 the church members decided to sell its facility to the congregation called New Testament Church and move to its present location, Weathersby Road. Over the past thirty years, Immanuel Baptist Church has been lead by four pastors and has seen God do some amazing things in and through its members. Only God knows what He will do with its current members as they seek to lead others to love God.